One of my favourite cities in Germany is definitely Cologne! You should walk up the 291 stairs of the Cathedral – the icon of the city – to get a great panoramic view across the city. The Cathedral is the heart of Cologne and situated right next to the main station. From there it’s easy to get to the Haymarket, a great area to have a chilled Kölsch, the local beer, very drinkable and they won’t stop serving you the typical thin glasses of beer until you explicitly tell them to stop :) Paradise! To get there, just walk along the Rhine Promenade. Cologne is also great for shopping and the “Schildergasse” belongs to Europe’s most visited shopping streets. Apart from that, the city offers a great nightlife. Definitely visit Meister Gerhart, a brilliant place for food and wine set in the area of “Belgisches Viertel”. Cologne is also great for exploring the Rhine area going South, and its vineyards and historical ruins. Really pretty. Also, a day trip to Dusseldorf would be very easy to organize. Just take the train up!
The offer from HRS.com and eaysjet.com takes you from London Gatwick to Cologne/Bonn with easyJet. From the airport take the city train to Cologne Hansaring. That takes only 17 mins and costs €6 (£5) then it’s 900 metres to the hotel. You stay in the 4-star Park Inn (73% on Tripadvisor). A late check out and the free use of sauna is also included! Yey!
- Cologne: 3 Days incl. 4* Hotel and Flights for only £94
- Travel period: 29/04/2014 – 01/05/2014
- Travel duration: 3 days
- Airport of departure: London Gatwick
- Destination: Cologne/Bonn
- Airline: easyJet
- Hotel: 4* Park Inn Cologne
- Rating: 73% on TripAdvisor out of 236 reviews + Certificate of Excellence 2013
- Location: Cologne, northern city centre
- Board basis: self catering
- Airport transfer: S-Bahn (city train) to Cologne Hansaring (17 mins, €6). Then it’s a little walk of 900 metres to the hotel.
- Price: only £94 per person based on two adults sharing