With its colourful, wonky houses and half-timbered faces, Alsace is easily one of the most charming regions in all of Europe. But just imagine how cosy it’ll be during the festive season when all the fairy lights are out and the Christmas markets are in fall swing!
Alsace Christmas Markets
With this lovely little city break deal I’ve put together using Trivago and my Flight Finder you’ll be able to experience the magic of Alsace during the festive season. You’ll be staying in the gorgeous little town of Colmar, famous for its Little Venice, a gorgeous waterfront by the canal that will charm your socks off.
You’ll be flying to Basel, which is just over an hour away by train from the airport, but you could also go for a rental car if you so wish. Your hotel is the Les Maraîchers, a cosy little 3 star hotel just a 15 minute walk from Little Venice. It’s a fantastic base for exploring the region as a whole, and I’m certain the friendly staff will give you the warmest of welcomes!
As well as Colmar you just can’t miss out on a day trip to Strasbourg. This gorgeous city is breathtaking at Christmas time with cosy little markets and brightly decorated houses everywhere you look. Warm yourselves with a bit of mulled wine at the market, or get stuck into the hearty Alsatian cuisine which is heavily influenced by neighbouring Germany. I recommend trying some Flammkuchen or tarte flambée, where a thin dough base is topped with ingredients such as creme freche, onions and bacon lardons. Yummy!
To book this deal, simply click the links below to book your hotel and flights separately. :)
- Alsace Christmas Markets: 2 Nights in Well-Reviewed Hotel incl. Return Flights only £133
- Provider: Trivago + Flight Finder
- Travel period: 03/12/2018 – 05/12/2018
- Length of stay: 2 nights
- Departure airport: London Gatwick
- Destination airport: Basel
- Airline: EasyJet
- Hotel: Les Maraîchers
- Score: 4/5 on TripAdvisor
- Location: Colmar, Alsace
- Meals: Self-catered
- Airport transfer: Not included (trains run from Basel to Colmar which take just over an hour!)
- Lonely Planet travel guide: Get one here
- Rental car: Compare prices here
- Travel insurance: Compare prices here
- Price only £133 per person based on two adults sharing