Check out this incredible Luxury hotel in Matera! Matera is probably one of the most unusual, interesting and most definitely, memorable tourist destinations in southern Italy. Forget about Cantanzaro and Bari! Matera is the place to be! Its location is in the relatively unknown southern region of Basilicata (also called Lucania). And believe me, this town is like nothing you’ve ever seen.
The ‘Sassi’ are cave-dwelling districts. Visitors can explore, stay the night or simply wander along the lanes in hope of finding treasure. You may stumble along a church or two embedded in the hill, built by Basilian monks fleeing persecution in the eighth and ninth centuries. Many of these churches remain locked, but some are open to visitors through a tour guide. Therefore I highly recommend you take a guided tour!
Luxury Hotel Matera: Your romantic grotto awaits..
However there’s one area of the many hills you won’t need a tour guide to explore. You just need a room key!
The Hotel Sextantio Le Grotte Della Civita (5/5 on TripAdvisor + Certificate of Excellence) is a hotel like nothing I’ve ever seen before! With the rooms and suites being set in large caves, and feature antique furniture and simple décor. The hotel embraces the new saying ‘Albergo Diffuso‘ (Hotel Diffused) where a hotel should bend and work around to its past, instead of focusing on its final outlook. And this hotel definitely does this!
If you don’t fancy stepping out, the restaurant of Albergo Sexantio specialises in Basilicata cuisine. The hotel serves breakfast in a 13th century church (I know, right!?).
Wi-Fi is available throughout the property. And all rooms are air conditioned and uniquely decorated. The bed linen for example is made from antique cloth. So no red wine nearby this bed!
The only thing missing from this romantic set up is return flights from your favourite airport! Therefore you can use my Flights Fare Finder. I already found you some example flights below. The cheapest rate for Hotel Sextantio are here on Trivago. They compare many hotel websites to each other and show you where to book the cheapest rate for this Luxury Hotel Matera.
I don’t know what you’re waiting for! If you don’t book it, I will!
- Luxury Hotel Matera, Italy: 4* Grotto Hotel from only £59 pppn
- Availibility: Depends on dates, cheapest rates in October and November 2017
- Airport of departure: find cheap flights to Bari through my Flights Fare Finder
- Hotel: 4-star Hotel Sextantio Le Grotte Della Civita
- Rating: 5/5 on TripAdvisor out of 1,145 review + Certificate of Excellence
- Destination: Matera, Italy
- Airport transfer: from Bari airport, around 1 hour 30 minutes by bus. Find appropriate transfer prices here
- Rental car on sixt.co.uk
- Price (Hotel only): only £59 per person per night based on 2 adults sharing