A boutique hotel is often usually small, exclusive, intimate and luxurious with generous staff to guest ratios but with a BIG personality. I’ve rounded up a selection of top-rated boutique hotels, what to expect and a comprehensive list of boutique hotels to suit all budgets. One thing I am sure of, that whatever your tastes and preferences, there is a boutique hotel designed to suit every type of traveller and I’m sure you will fall in love with the stylish and cosy atmosphere.
Choosing the right boutique hotel can be tricky as they often quite expensive, but with MyHolidayGuru’s expert help you can find some bargain hidden gems, meaning you and your sweetheart can enjoy a romantic retreat. Styles range from grand mega-hotels to minimalistic nordic properties and all-inclusive beach resorts to quaint country inns. Today’s travellers’ never-ending search for something “new and different” has inspired the growth of boutique hotels. But exactly what is a boutique hotel?
What is a Boutique Hotel?
Size – Boutique hotels are typically small, with 10 to 100 rooms. They are renowned for creating an intimate atmosphere almost like a high-end personal space in a private home, rather than just a hotel occupant. A common trait is to offer stylish lounge areas for guests to interact or relaxation spaces.
Design – The architecture and interior design of a boutique hotel is as unique, but always upscale and often combining historic details with chic elegance. Rooms are individually decorated, and use upscale linens and exclusive amenities. Whilst each hotel varies in terms of character and design, they all tend to be luxurious and elegant, a good example of this is the collection Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
Service – Highly personalized service is a quintessential characteristic of boutique hotels. Staff get to know your name on the first day of your stay and will cater to special requests. A good example is at boutique spa hotels, you will find an extensive list of very high-quality services, individualized experience.
Gastronomy – Like everything else about boutique hotels, their restaurants and bars tend to be trendy and locally-sourced. You can expect to find high quality, authentic cuisine, and comfortable cocktail atmospheres that make these restaurants and bars popular amongst guests and locals.
Guru tip: You can sign up for free at Voyage Prive which often feature deals that involve exclusive boutique hotels for bargain prices. Their hotels range all over the world there is no limit!
Boutique Budget Hotels in the UK
The UK is home to many boutique hotels that offer decadent accommodation but these don’t have to cost the earth. I have rounded up a list of bargain-friendly hotels don’t skimp on style and offer discerning weekenders some serious luxury for less.
- Southhampton: The Pig in the Wall is a charming stay for anyone who is seeking wonderful accommodation for a reasonable price in Southampton, the closest city to the New Forest. A boutique hotel with a rustic soul right in the medieval city walls, near to the cruise terminals on Southampton Water, you will find plush rooms and ornate furniture.
- Derbyshire: Previously the well known Black Cow Pub, the new ‘Cow Hotel’ was reborn in December 2017 as a small luxury boutique inn offering 12 beautifully decorated rooms. The property features a fabulous restaurant/bar showcasing the heritage and character of the original 19-century building.
- Wiltshire: Lucknam Park Hotel that has it all: award-winning spa and wellness centre, Michelin-starred restaurant, 500-acre estate and stables. This is more expensive than the others mentioned but if you book in advance you may be able to get it at a great price, and will make an unforgettable gift for someone very special!
Boutique Budget Hotels in London
Packed with iconic landmarks, world-renowned museums and designer labels, this bustling capital is a world in itself. Its stylish boutique hotels are eclectic and dotted around from the hip East End to Knightsbridge.
- Bethnal Green: The Town Hall Hotel & Apartments in London’s East End has transformed the old Bethnal Green council building into a stunning, a grand Edwardian structure with its original polished marble floors, soaring ceilings and grand staircases still in place. The hotel is situated in a trendy neighbourhood and makes it easy for you to reach Shoreditch, Bank and Liverpool street.
- Clerkenwell: The Zetter is a hotel that’s all about cutting-edge design that features a rooftop bar, perfect taking sweeping views of the ‘Gherkin’, and St Paul’s Cathedral. There are plenty of nearby restaurants, but particular favourites are Foxlow and the Modern Pantry (very different vibes, so something to suit everyone). The Clerkenwell Social is just around the corner and has a great cocktail menu.
- Strand: As the name suggests The Strand Palace boasts an excellent location close to the theatres of Covent Garden, Waterloo Bridge, Charing Cross and the Thames. This is a good choice if you plan to do a lot of sightseeing and/or partying. The hotel opened in 1909, which means you will find hidden historic treasures scattered throughout the hotel.
Boutique Budget Hotels in Europe
- Amsterdam, Netherlands: Suitehotel Posthoorn is located just 20 minutes from Amsterdam, in the centre of Monnickendam. The hotel does well to create a warm atmosphere with old-style decor and contemporary touches. You will love the warmth of the 17th-century vibes that ooze from this intimate hotel.
- Piedmont, Italy: Set amid rolling hills this boutique hotel in Piedmont is surrounded by spectacular scenery and some of the finest restaurants in Italy. La Villa Hotel is the ideal country hideaway for a couple seeking romance in a stunning part of Italy.
- Empordà, Spain: Sandwiched between the Pyrenees peaks and the Costa Brava’s cliffs and coves, medieval Castell d’Empordà is a Catalan ruin that has been transformed into a luxury boutique hotel. Climb the hotel’s narrow staircase to the watchtower and soak up the magnificent 360-degree views; on a clear day, you’ll be able to admire the glittering sea below.
Inspiration for Luxury Hotels
‘Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are.’…so goes the old Chinese proverb referring to the grind of the day-to-day getting you down. Nothing beats some luxurious and lavish spa treatments, and the overwhelming sense of refreshment and rejuvenation which gives you back that glowing, happy feeling you deserve! The best spa hotels in England offer you all this and more, so sit back, relax and see what’s on offer!
If you’re looking for a divine pad in London for your next trip, then here you will find the most extraordinary hotels in London and I promise there’s something for everyone to perfect their trip! Whether you’re looking for splendid luxury, completely innovative ideas or an extraordinary stay on the trail of a famous magician, you’ll be guaranteed to find exactly what you’re looking for in this special and diverse city!